Saturday, July 28, 2007

Starting from Scratch

Talking with a tech from my ISP about recent and absurd issues I've been having with my connection, the topic of World of Warcraft somehow came up. I envisioned a room, much like the cold gray one he described himself sitting in, filled with cubicles and talking tech heads, all playing Warcraft as they "helped" their customers with net-related issues. It happens, apparently, far too often. "WoW is corrupting the minds of our youth and tech-savvy," he said. "We come to work to play WoW... how pathetic is that?" Been there, done that.

But the solid, incredibly fierce grip that this game has had on me has waned a bit. I find myself gasping for a breath of real life far more often lately. When I login to play, which is about as often as I punch myself in the nuts (yes, a couple times a day, apparently), I find myself with little to do. I am not actively doing anything with the guild anymore, and more and more, it feels like I am at a very bland party, sitting slumpishly in a corner all by myself, by choice, and desperately waiting for the opportunity to make at the door, unnoticed. These are good people though, and if I were to leave the guild they so kindly ninja-invited me to out of respect, I would at least owe them the honor of a reason and an apology, no matter how tempted I am to just walk away...

I am not enjoying this game, a trend that has seemed to drag on like a *insert random Alex Horde guild name here* raid, and recently, I decided it was time for a change. I headed over to my current server's Alliance and rolled a Human Warlock, who looks uncannily like Olympian Apollo Anton Ono. Unfortunately, he doesn't have Apollo's speed skating skills, and his leveling has been very slow going. I simply lack the time and the stamina that Jade has, for example, and I lack the luxury of having an established core of very close friends to run instances with as well, so I cannot see that toon hitting 70 anytime soon as a result. I've optimistically set Christmas as my target date, but we'll see what happens.

Not content with that simple change of scenery, I took it a step further and stepped outside of my emo-drama-ridden server. I rolled a Warlock (hey, it's all I really care to play, stfu) on Illidan to get some world PvP on, and to see exactly what the intelligent Zy and Six are always fussing and gushing about. I'm not sure that this specific toon will be leveled -- I'm not a huge fan of the Illidan server or the a-holes it consciously nurtures. I also haven't decided if I want the toon to be a member of the Alliance or Horde. My first, if not somewhat brash reaction was to roll an Undead 'lock for the sweetness that is Will of the Forsaken. But then I also thought about how I shouldn't choose a faction based on racials alone, and that I need to look at many more important variables before deciding what to roll and where to settle.

I'm new to this whole re-rolling thing, and since I never once thought that I would ever set aside the 'lock that has been my main for the past 1.6 years, I am completely in the dark about how to go about this, if not just a little dumbfounded. I'm not sure what to look for, how to approach it, or even how it will work out. It'll definitely be a learning experience, and tech support (read, you guys with experience doing this) will definitely come in handy. If I come away with anything useful, I'll be sure to let you guys know, in case some of you who haven't ventured elsewhere ever choose to make the journey yourselves.

Wish me luck. ;)

Six and Zy. Your thoughts?

22 comments:

Zy said...

If ya don't have any friends where you re-rolled, don't join any guilds. There is always a bunch of drama attached to a Gtag, and on a different server you will likely end up in a horrid one and have the name stick with you.

Don't expect leveling to be a speedy process. In fact, expect it to take at least twice as long as it should. They have made improvements to some of the hotspots guards (tanaris was soooooooooooo bad before the rooftop snipers) but I don't expect it helps much.

Everyone is out to kill you. Everyone. Don't be fooled by the slightly higher leveled guy leaving you be, or even helping. Chances are high they are just fucking with ya and will own your face just when you think they are friendly. Had it happen a bunch to me, and boy do I love emoting noobs a few times before I pretend to leave, then kill them when its least convenient for them.

hell if your rerolling i might join ya for a little while. been doing too much painting and music lately. Waiting for my descision of xbox or ps3 to conclude.

Jagoex said...

Ah yeah, that'd be tight. I'll catch ya when I'm not about to pass out so we can talk about potential details and what not. It'd be fun to have both you and Six there. 3v3 ftw.

And omg, did you notice the amount of grammatical errors I had made in that post? Gosh. Friday-night postings + martinis ftl!

Zy said...

If your up still gimmie a vent info on aim. We shall /discuss

Zy said...

I just rolled a BE priest on horde side of illidan. guess what his name is...

Anonymous said...

i say you both roll on tichondrius..i already have a human warrior. a buddy of mine and his gf plays there.

-sixtha7

EvilCheeseWedge said...

Yes! Roll on Tichondrius! I have a mage named Evilcheese there that I am starting to put more time into recently. I have several RL friends that play on that server.

Jesika said...

Jago: give Zy the old PK vent. That way I can harass you both :D

Also, things are finally slowing down with the gnome. Right after 70 I was really busy trying to complete a few things... like the BT attunement pre-quests >.>

So I'm saying I have free time. Hop on the ally lock sometime if you want. Also, I'll craft you Shadoweave gear for the 30ish range... if you like. Just lemme know. Sorry I've been hella busy.

Some nights it isn't stamina that kept me leveling. Sometimes it was White Russians. Other times, I'm not really sure why I didn't just shoot myself in the face. :D

Dunno though. Overall WoW has lost its essence. May try... dundundun... Guild Wars. Some hot chick that looks a lot like me plays. May be good times. (Inc link to show you her soon)

Anonymous said...

hey evilcheese...what level? we can all kick it and get our pvp on! arena!!!!

my buddy was in easy company with his girl... his rating is currently in the 1900's...last season he hit 2100's with his squad.

but i know they don't arena much as he wants...i want to do that shit every day.

6-7-hustle

EvilCheeseWedge said...

My mage is only 14 so far... but one of my friends has a 70 shaman and 67 hunter, another has a 65 hunter, and another one has a 68 druid. The last two will be 70 pretty soon heheh.

Anonymous said...

horde or ally?

6-7-h

Anonymous said...

wait..are you on alex right now?
easier to talk..lol

EvilCheeseWedge said...

I'm on my warlock Demoncheese now ;) - but yeah my friends are Horde on Tich.

Anonymous said...

ahh..my war is ally :*(

Jagoex said...

lol, Jade. Your "White Russians" comment made me laugh... half because I pictured two big thugs holding you down in your chair yelling "LEVEL AGAIN VAT VONCE!"

Zy, find me on Alex so I can get you the vent info.

Six, Cheese, looking up info on Tichondrius now.

So, I guess, all of you have had these issues before then eh? Yay for moral support. =)

Zy said...

So I pop on alex and guess who isn't there to give me vent info.

Jagoex said...

Hush you.

Btw, Tich is looking better and better. Saved the name Horde-side. Six, I know you're Ally atm... but omg, WotF for PvP-win. Go go.

Anonymous said...

Take your time and don't feel like you have to reroll as soon as you can.

Jagoex said...

The ball is already rolling. I think I'm done with logging into Alex with my 'lock, only to be incredibly disappointed.

Who is this, btw?

Anonymous said...

Your story sounds like mine. I waited and ended up canceling my account. It was my time. It sounds like it's yours. Wait and quit.

Jagoex said...

Ha, took you long enough to find this. I'll call ya later.

Anonymous said...

wait..i thought you wanted to be ally you fucker...now you are hordie again? lol

6-7-h

Zy said...

Zormg I updated my blog. Looks like I have risen from the long since dead.