Friday, September 28, 2007

The Hybrid Cometh

What do you get when you cross a Warlock with a Shadow Priest? I'm not exactly sure, but it's bound to have a crap-ton of DPS. And I mean that almost literally -- doo doos per second, if you will. =)

My wife and I found out yesterday morning that we're pregnant with out first child. It's a very surreal moment in our lives to say the least, and we're both very excited and look very much forward to parenthood.

With that said, we're also wondering how having a child will affect free aspects of our daily lives, which we've come to enjoy, needless to say. "Together" time, hobbies, being able to just pick up and go wherever we wanted on a whim, and World of Warcraft, for example. I mean, raising a child is basically a full-time job in it's own right, especially during the early years, so what will become of our time and how we currently choose to spend it?

Obviously, I can't say for sure, but I'd like to think that raising a child doesn't mean we must totally neglect our own individual preferences. From what I've learned within the trade of Child Development, raising a child and having "personal" time are not mutually exclusive. They compete with one another, sure, but with planning, they don't have to replace one another.

Even still, I don't see many new parents out and about with their young. I don't see many at the movies (thank goodness), at restaurants (thank goodness), or even at the local park. Infact, I don't know many new parents that get out much at all for that matter, and I definitely don't know of many that play WoW.

It'll be interesting to see, first-hand, just how this experience will change my play habits, and my daily routine in general. I'm confident I'll still have my way, but there's always that shade of a doubt. Afterall, they call this a "life changing event" for a reason.

Time to budget some diapers. I wonder if they make them with Resilience?

=)

10 comments:

Zy said...

Due to the complete lack of "OMG" or other capitalized blurbs of panic, I am assuming this was planned?

Honestly jago, your one of the few people who I wouldn't tell to not have a child. I think that you have enough capacity for understanding and knowledge of human behavior to fulfill the role of a parent. I mean face it, you have seen countless ways of how NOT to do things in parenting given your profession.

As for free time, anyone will tell you raising a child is a full time 'job'. At face value it would seem that your life is put on hold for 18 years. From what I have seen all it takes is including your child in the things that you enjoy doing. Unless its innapropriate of course. Nothing pisses people off like bringing a screaming baby to movie that isn't meant for one.

Also, don't join the "we have kids therefore we know more than people who don't" club. I don't think you would willfully drop a rung in the ladder of intelligence, just puting it out there because peer pressure to be ignorant happens all the time. (See article "religion")

In any case grats and good luck.


oh ps:

If she miscarries don't go emo :( it happens a lot. But i doubt you will have to deal with that.

Jagoex said...

Heheh, thanks Zy. We just started "trying" to have a baby a few months ago. Sounds like a while, but when you look at it in terms of cycles, anything within 8 is considered fantastic in the medical world.

Apparently, my sperm is enchanted with Stamina and Penetration. What can I say. XD

As for the actual experiences, I'll be the first to admit that I have a TON to learn. My wife is the same way. We're confident, but very humbled by the grandeur of it at the same time.

As for miscarries -- I'm crossing my fingers we won't have to deal with it. /pray

;)

Anonymous said...

yo! GRATZ MAN! think positive bro!
6-7

Jesika said...

gratz you guys. i was at a clothing store yesterday and saw pink shirts and thought.. jago would totally make his kid wear something like that. how ironic that you're now going to be a daddy.

hehe... im an aunt as of last week, and that still feels odd. so i cant imagine how you must feel :)

<3

Arydan/Impervious said...

zomg jago = big daddy :o

for some reason i really hope its a little girl

Jagoex said...

Me too. =)

Zy said...

If you need any advice or insight, (I know it sounds wierd :P) you know where to find me. I've been through many different environments and can offer a unique insight. I also know a slue of ways to do things wrong!

My single biggest piece of advice is to leave as much choices open as possible, and give advice. Not shove down a tunnel ;)

Cathy Bane said...

Grats Jago!!

Jagoex said...

Thankies thankies!

Anonymous said...

Grats, Dr.!

Just train your kid to play playstation early in life... that's how I get my WoW time in... (OK, helps that mine is nine years old too.)

That's exciting for you... :)

Christi